Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Teaser Tuesday #35: Simon Green's Something from the Nightside

The quote from Something from the Nightside, Chapter 3:
The only thing that moves faster than the speed of light is gossip in the Night-side. Still, the crowd was much as I remembered. Boys, girls, and a few others, all looking for a good time. Business as usual on the dark side of the city. Up on the street, they spilled out of the train station, sniffing freedom and opportunities on the crisp air, and scattered into the endless night, hot on the trail of their own salvations and damnations.
Mini Review:
Simon's novel is a racier, lighter version of China Mieville's The City and The City. This is the first novel in a series that I believe is at least 9 books out. There are no rules to his universe in the book, unlike the precise magic-worlds of L.E. Modesitt's. So now you know who Simon writes like, and who he doesn't write like. 
The fans of Neil Gaiman's city under London book and mini-series would appreciate the baseline behind Something from the Nightside. This is a hidden world, hidden beneath London as we know it. The story is a twisty-turning one, with plenty of unexpected plot characters - a fun, light read while traveling.

What's in your hands/reading device of choice today?
***
Teaser Tuesdays is hosted at Should Be Reading.



Teaser Tuesdays
Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. a 'lighter' version of The City and The City? I've always been by China Mieville's books but haven't got to reading them yet. Not enough time for all those beautiful books out there^^

    anyways...great teaser! thx for sharing.

    here's minefor this week.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great teaser!

    Mine TT is here :)
    http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    Have a nice week..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great teaser.
    Sparked my curiousity

    Have a great day
    Kyanara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gossip does travel fast, eh? Nice teaser! Actually, just the title makes me want to read the book!

    Here's mine: http://peskypiksipesternomi.blogspot.com/2011/05/teaser-tuesday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice, noir kind of teaser. I like the atmosphere it establishes.

    Here's my teaser: http://jockstewart.typepad.com/writers_notebook/2011/05/teaser-tuesday-hyphema-by-chelle-cordero.html

    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your teaser. I'm trying to make it fit into a genre - maybe a thriller. Sounds a little edgy. That's good.

    Thanks for visiting our group's blog: Quirky Girls Read

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great teaser. I have this one in my stacks somewhere I will have to dig it out.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/teaser-tuesday-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does sound very noir like Sun Singer mentions. It is enough intrigue to make me look into it further - I'm in the mood for something funky and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow. Very intriguing! Great teaser. :) Is the book as great?

    Here's my teaser for the week!

    Rebecca @ kindle fever

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your teaser! And it sounds like an interesting book--I really enjoy Neil Gaiman's books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh I really like Simon R Green, and I've read this book - even remember this teaser. Very cool book and world he's created.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a teaser!! Another novel to check out?!. I really like teaser tuesdays!


    Here is my Teaser Tuesday: Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for visiting!
    My fav teaser so far has been Gautami's and Priya's - the first made me want to read the book, and Priya's was from a Discworld novel, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment! I will always reply to each comment, and if you leave a link, comment on your site as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts