Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Teaser Tuesdays #26: Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock)

The book that I'm in the middle of reading this morning is Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock novel - Mercy Blade. This debuted at #24 on the NYT list, and I'm glad to see this well-written series getting serious visibility.
Still, this particular novel was not as entertaining as the first two, and I don't find myself dying to see what happens next. Is it time for another spin-off series and fresh characters? Maybe.

Teaser Line 1:
Woolgathering wouldn’t help me solve this case, and so far, my search had found nothing that jumped up and squealed, “This guy is the murderer of Safia!”
Teaser Line 2:
“Your word that you will not change or alter shape during our conversation, will not attempt to harm or spell me or any others here, that you will not attempt to change your glamour, and that you will not attempt to escape. Repeat it.”
Mini-Review: I'm a little confused - this book hasn't carried and captivated me, like the first novel did. Perhaps I can explain. The story was certainly interesting and I liked the multiple race theory, and the fascination that people have with Jane's mysterious species. I'd like for Jane to meet someone else from her species, so that she doesn't feel like she is alone. Plenty of action, security threats with a soupcon of diplomacy and politics made the book a fun read.
However, all the characters were the same old vampires, barring one new addition. Lack of information on the newer races leads to no connection with any of the so-called villains here.
I think a good villain, mysteriously in the background, could really make this series great!


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.
Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. i think u can help me.......m in middle or say abt to reach in the middle of some project....
    really need ur help....
    followin u nw......bye

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one but I loved that second teaser. Very funny and certainly leaves me plenty of room to imagine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this book before but haven't had a chance to read it. Thanks for sharing. You can find mine at The Bookish Snob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teasers! The premise of the story sounds very interesting!

    Here is mine:

    http://www.cafeofdreamsbookreviews.com/2011/01/teaser-tuesdays-125.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your teasers! Especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/teaser-tuesday-respect-me-rules.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's always the danger with series books. Sometimes they just turn into the same old thing over and over. Hope this one improves for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am envious. I want this book in a bad way. I hope you enjoy your book. Check out what my Tuesday Teaser is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Teaser Tuesday!!! My teaser this week is for Mistwood by Leah Cypess which is currently discount on Amazon for only $6.50 for a new hardcover copy!!! I posted a link to the price! Finally, a great fantasy book that really feels like the older fantasy novels written by favorites like Tamora Pierce and Sharon Shinn!

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels
    http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't heard of this series before. I do like paranormal fiction but read mostly YA paranormal. It is too bad when books in a series start to lose their way. I hope it gets better for you.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'd be delighted to write a post on Indian fiction sometime although I haven't read as much of it as I'd like to. I was kind of disappointed with The Dowry Bride. I finished it last night and kind of felt let down by the writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment! I will always reply to each comment, and if you leave a link, comment on your site as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts