Thursday, June 10, 2010

Megan Whaler Turner - The Thief (and series)

The Thief is the first book in a four part series about a trio of small Kingdoms.
This is really a trilogy, with the fourth book wrapping up some loose ends and giving us a different point of observation.
I started reading this series over the weekend based on a review by Unshelved, a great site for illustrated recommendations of not-so-famous books.

The review they posted is pretty good, so I am going to direct interested readers there
A snapshot of Gene's review is below -
"Why I picked it up: I’ve never been disappointed with a book in this series. That puts it up there with Llloyd Alexander’s Prydain Chronicles and Ursula K. LeGuin’s Earthsea Books.
Why I finished it: Sophos’ long first person narrative had me a little worried, but by the time the story catches up with the prologue, I needed to see how he handled his new responsibilities. Turner’s novels sneak up on me like that -- the details build in a way that’s not completely obvious to me until I suddenly find that I’m 100% invested in the story and cannot put it down. Each of the other books in the series also has a satisfying twist that I didn’t see coming, and this was no exception. "

The ThiefThe Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, Book 2)The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, Book 3)A Conspiracy of Kings

For my own review, my favorites of the books wereThe Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia. The first book served as a very nice prequel to the series and A Conspiracy of Kings was like a nice dessert cleanser for the palate. The hidden love story of the Queen and the King was just delicious!
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I work at a middle school library and have this series in my end-of-the-year box of books to read during the summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When does summer begin? How exciting to have a whole pile of books tucked away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that this series will be on the top of my most favourite list for quite awhile!

    p.s. CEP stands for Comment Exchange Program, an event held on YA Addict Blog every Monday =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment! I will always reply to each comment, and if you leave a link, comment on your site as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts